Never Just a Teacher

A class in a newly rebuilt secondary school in...Image via Wikipedia
PRELUDE:
I used to say I'm "just a teacher."
Not any more.

---- Just Teacher ---

I'm not just a teacher
I have many roles
From sparking the mind
to discussing their goals.

I'm not just a teacher
I am so much more
Mama, wife, chauffer
a distance runner who is often sore!

I'm not just a teacher
I have to fix things too!
Computers, payroll taxes,
doorknobs, the heel of a shoe.

But Just...
ah what a word that can be
implying that things are fair!
Never this side of eternity.

Is it just that we grade until two
or are interrupted all day?
Is it fair that we often work
while others can play?

Is it just that we are often misunderstood
and that fallen
leave streaks upon the
crystal trophies of our noble calling?

Or is it just that
money seems to be squandered
and we're left to buy sticky tack with our pennies
as purchases around us aren't pondered?

But there's one thing
just one thing.
Well more than one thing.
Each human being.

If I can reach just one
to direct them upward
towards greatness,
though through torrential troubles they ford.

If just one of them
finds purpose or hope
or how to be happy
and broaden their scope.

I'm never just a teacher
any more than any one of these students could ever be
just a child.

I am more...
and through me
my students will be  too!

----

POSTLUDE:
I stand here
in the chair of my desk
seeing every pencil hole in the ceiling tile
crumpled paper in hand
dry erase marker smudge on my right cheek
and hear my voice echo back off my smartboard

"I AM A TEACHER AND I AM NOBLE.
I DO NOT NEED TO BE TREATED AS NOBILITY OR PAID AS NOBILITY,
I AM NOBILITY BECAUSE OF MY PURPOSE
AND CLAIM THIS ROOM AS A CASTLE OF EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE."

-------
Ok, do it.... I dare you.  And if you do -- let me know. ;-) It will be our little secret.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Popular Posts